We provide preconfigured audio capture hardware that can be installed in the studio to capture and send a contribution stream as input for our streaming service.
When using our preconfigured hardware, the customer is still responsible for ensure the device has appropriate internet access to be able to connect to our platform.
Customers must follow the requirements & recommendations as listed by the Stream service requirement prior to installing our device. If the internet connection is configured correctly, the device will automatically start sending the contribution stream.
The device must be connected with a network cable to a router that:
- Assigns an IP address to the device via DHCP.
- Complies with the network requirements listed in Stream service requirements that can connect to port 8000 of your customer specific IP.
Our device requires DHCP to be active on the router it connects to. The device ships with a label that indicates it's MAC address, which can be used to assign a specific IP for it on the router. DHCP is typically enable by default on all consumer routers, please consult your router's manual for details on configuring DHCP.
- To enable logging from your device, it needs to be able to connect to logs.papertrailapp.com port 49960. This allows our support department to remotely diagnose any errors.
- To enable remote access to your device, it needs to be able to connect to your customer specific IP on port 10170. This allows our technical team to remotely diagnose and fix any errors.
If either of these ports are blocked by a firewall it will not affect the stream audio but limits our ability to diagnose any problems.
Using the device
The device is pre-configured to connect to the right endpoint and automatically start sending the stream whenever an internet connection is available.
When installing the device:
- Before attaching power to the device, follow these steps.
- Connect the audio output from your mixing desk to the input ports of the Focusrite audio device.
- Ensure that you are using two ¼'' TS jack connectors and not XLR connectors. Using XLR connectors will automatically enable the instrument mode pre-amplifier, leading to degrade audio quality.
- Ensure both the input ports on the Focusrite device is set to
INSTto disable the instrument pre-amp.
- Connect the Focusrite unit to the device using the provided USB cable.
- Connect the device to a router that will provide it with internet using the provided network cable.
- For the previous step, ensure the router complies with Stream service requirements
- Power up the device by plugging in it's power cable from the included power supply.
It may take up to 4 minutes for the stream to become available on it's public endpoints after powering up the device.
Using a secondary input
By default the device will send
AAC audio into the primary input on our platform.
When sending in a secondary contribution stream into our platform alongside the device, it is important to match the codec between the two. Failure to do so may cause active listeners to be disconnected when switching between the primary and secondary inputs.
- We recommend configuring the hardware/software sending the secondary stream to also use
AAC(any bitrate). For example, the BUTT documentation for sending
- Alternatively, contact our support team to assist with changing the format being sent by your device. (Requires remote access to be available, see "Device recommendations" above)