"Commercial" hardware unit
We provide preconfigured audio capture hardware that can be installed in the studio to capture and send a contribution stream as input for our streaming service. This page covers details for our "Commercial" hardware option.
When using our hardware, the customer is still responsible for ensuring the device has appropriate internet access to connect to our platform. Customers must follow the requirements & recommendations as listed by the Stream service requirement prior to installing our device. If the internet connection is configured correctly, the device will automatically start sending the contribution stream after power on.
- 1x Picaster unit (170mm x 170mm x35mm)
- 1x Wifi Card (Do Not Remove)
- 1x 5.0V/3.0A Power adaptor
You will need
- Audio cables not included. Device requires dual analog input via XLR connectors.
- Network cable not included.
The device must be connected with a network cable to a router that:
- Assigns an IP address to the device using DHCP.
- Complies with the network requirements listed in Stream service requirements.
- Can connect and send audio to port 8000 of the customer specific IP.
Our device requires DHCP to be active on the router it connects to. The device ships with a label that indicates it's MAC address, which can be used to assign a specific IP for it on the router. DHCP is typically enabled by default on all consumer routers, please consult your router's manual for details.
- To enable logging from your device, it needs to be able to connect to logs.papertrailapp.com port 49960. This allows our support department to remotely diagnose any errors.
If this port is blocked by a firewall it will not affect the stream audio but limits our ability to diagnose any problems.
Testing your network
Use a laptop or PC connected to the same network cable that you would use for the device and visit http://iono.fm:8000/ in a browser to confirm that port 8000 is open for access.
Using the device
The device is pre-configured to connect to the right endpoint and automatically start sending the stream whenever an internet connection is available.
When installing the device:
- Before attaching power to the device, follow these steps.
- Connect the audio output from your mixing desk to the front input ports of Picaster unit using XLR cables.
- Connect the device to a router with a network cable for an internet connection.
- Ensure the network requirements as listed above is in place.
- Power up the device by plugging in it's power cable from the included power supply.
Once powered up with all connections configured correctly the device will start streaming automatically.
It may take up to 4 minutes for the stream to become available on it's public endpoints after powering up the device.
- The device detects the network only on startup. After making any changes to your networking configuration or changing any cables, please restart the device by removing and reinserting the power cable.
- A web interface is available where users can monitor the input level and latency to the server.
- Customers are liable for theft or electrical damage. Please ensure the device is installed in a secure location with surge protection in place.
Sending to the secondary input
By default the device will send audio into the primary input on our platform.
When sending in a secondary contribution stream into our platform alongside the device, it is important to match the codec between the two. Failure to do so may cause active listeners to be disconnected when switching between the primary and secondary inputs.